After careful consideration, Cancer Council NSW and the volunteer organising committee have cancelled the Parkes Relay for Life.
The relay was scheduled to take place on March 23 and 24.
"The decision was made to cancel the relay due to low registration numbers and fundraising," Cancer Council Community Relations Coordinator Brendon Argyle said in a statement issued Wednesday.
The Event had previously been rescheduled from October last year.
Team captains have been contacted and the options for registered participants are to either transfer their registrations to the Orange Relay at the Waratahs Sports Ground on April 6 and 7 or to contact Cancer Council in Orange for a refund on the registration fee, or to let the money stand as a donation.
"We have had great support with trying to get the event up, with CMOC-Northparkes Mines helping with a grant, and the local Parkes Council have been amazing," Mr Argyle said.
"It’s bitterly disappointing that the event is not going ahead, we have seen a steady trickle of teams registering since Christmas, just not enough unfortunately.
"It would be silly to go ahead with the registrations we have, it just wouldn’t be “Relay”, he said.
"We understand that Relay For Life may no longer fit as the best way for the Parkes to support Cancer Council and we want our community to have a fun, meaningful event experience.
"Any donations made towards the relay have been processed and the cancellation of the relay will not impact the funding or running of local services in the local area. We will continue to provide information and support through local programs and services such as the Transport to treatment program getting patients to their medical appointments,
"Where we go from here will really be up to the locals. We will be calling for ideas from the community soon and consulting about the best way forward," Mr Argyle said.
Raffle tickets are still for sale and will be drawn by April First, winners will be contacted.
Also making news: