UPDATE: Wednesday, 9:18am
NSW Ambulance have reported the 68 year old man who was knocked unconscious at the beginning of the attack was struck by a shotgun.
He had a 15 centimeter long visible skull wound. It’s unknown where the man was when he regained consciousness, but the ambulance spokesman said he had been bleeding for hours when he was found.
He was taken by road to Parkes Hospital, then lifted to Orange Base Hospital in a critical condition.
Scroll down for more information
EARLIER: Tuesday, 11:57pm
A man is in police custody and a woman located safe and well following a police operation in the Hawkesbury.
About 11.30pm on Tuesday, officers from the Tactical Operations Unit and Dog Unit, with the assistance of PolAir, located the man and woman in bushland near Blaxlands Ridge, about 20km north of Windsor.
The 44-year-old man was arrested and the 41-year-old woman has been taken into the care of local police.
This follows the safe recovery of a 71-year-old woman and two boys, aged 13 and 14, earlier on Tuesday evening, as well as the arrest of two men.
All three men, aged 23, 29, and 44, are expected to be charged.
Detectives from the Robbery and Serious Crime Squad, assisted by the Financial Crimes Squad’s Arson Unit, and North West Metropolitan, Western, and Northern Regions, have established Strike Force Stolle to investigate the circumstances surrounding today’s incidents.
Further information will be available when it comes to hand.
EARLIER: Tuesday, 9:35pm
A major police operation is ongoing as the search for a man and a 41-year-old woman continues.
About 7.15pm on Tuesday, a 71-year-old woman and two boys – aged 11 and 14 – were dropped on the roadside on Putty Road.
They are safe and with police.
A short time later, two men were arrested near Sackville.
They have been taken to Windsor Police Station where they are assisting with inquiries.
Police are still searching for a man and concerns are held for the welfare of a 41-year-old woman, believed to be with him.
Anyone who sights the pair is urged not to approach them but to contact Triple Zero (000) immediately.
A police operation is underway to locate two women and two children who cannot be accounted for after a reported domestic-related incident in the state’s Central West.
Officers from Central West Police District were called to a property on Henry Parkes Way, Ootha, near Condobolin, about 11am on Tuesday, following reports a man had been assaulted and his house set alight.
Police were told two men armed with a shotgun, a knife, and an axe, attended the home about 5am and assaulted the 68-year-old male occupant, knocking him unconscious.
When the man regained consciousness, the home had been destroyed by fire and he could not locate the other occupants – believed to be two women, aged 71 and 41, and two boys, aged 11 and 14.
There are serious concerns for their welfare and police are conducting inquiries to locate a 1998 green Toyota 4WD, with NSW registration CD98XE, in which the men arrived at the property.
It is believed the men may travel to the Hunter Region or the Central Coast.