Junior rugby league heads into the finals

THROUGH TO THE GRAND FINAL: The under 13 league tag side (above) and the under 12 Blues (below) are both through to Saturday's grand finals in the Dubbo District competition. Photo: Supplied.

THROUGH TO THE GRAND FINAL: The under 13 league tag side (above) and the under 12 Blues (below) are both through to Saturday's grand finals in the Dubbo District competition. Photo: Supplied.

This year saw Lachlan District decide not to hold a competition so Parkes Marist Junior League joined the Dubbo District Competition for a shortened season.

We knew it was going to mean the club would be up against some tough and experienced side. Parkes were not expected to make the top four, let alone the grand finals, but this Saturday two of the junior sides take the field in grand final matches

We wish them the best of luck in Dubbo and know you have the town behind you.

Junior League Tag

The Bob Skinner Painting Junior League Tag under 13's played in the semi-finals against Nyngan last Saturday in Dubbo and won taking them through to the Grand Final!

Grace MacGregor scored the first try, successfully adding the extras. Grace has scored a massive 21 tries so far this season.

The next try was scored by Grace Milne and converted by Nell Smith. In the last few minutes Nyngan scored, taking the score to 10-8 with a conversion to come. With under a minute to go, the Parkes spectators and players were holding their breath, but the conversion was unsuccessful giving Parkes the win.

Everyone had a great game and the win sees them through to the grand final in Dubbo at 10am on Saturday, where they will be playing the undefeated Dubbo Raidettes.

Under 12 Blues

The Central West Fluid Power Under 12's Blues headed to Dubbo for their semi final against the Nyngan Tigers with a grand final spot up for grabs.

Nyngan looked great passing the ball and moving it through their hands to the outside, where they took advantage of Parkes' lack of defence to score out wide.

From the tap restart, determination from the Blues showed with a hard running set from forwards Ryan Cox and Kaleb Gould. They led the charge in the middle and made great metres to secure a spot for Ryan Cox to crash over for a try with Jaylin Moran adding the extras.

Nyngan kept the pressure on and were looking to move the ball out wide once again but the defence this time was solid with great efforts from Kailen Butt, Harry Turner and Riley Fernando.

Nyngan again hit back with five minutes to go before half time with a converted try.

Not to be outdone, Parkes never looked like putting their heads down and just before half time a quick stepping Jaylin Moran scored under the post, with a successful conversion by George Thomas taking the half time score to 12-10.

After the half time break, Nyngan knocked the ball on giving Parkes great field position. It set them up for another try but the defence from Nyngan didn't budge.

The next to score was Nyngan and with a successful conversion they took the lead.

Once again the Blues kept their composure and went back to the task at hand playing clean footy and completing their sets.

The rewards soon showed with Caleb Gould crossing over just right in front of the sticks, tying the score at 16-all.

Nyngan restarted, but superb efforts from Lachie Thomas, Jaylin Kelly, Ryan Whitney and Camden Graham, Nyngan were finding the going tough.

A hard running Ryan Whitney was looking for the ball at every opportunity to make metres and did just that while Oakley Fleidner was making the Nyngan defence second guess themselves.

Soon after, Jaylin Moran scored his second try of the game with a successful conversion by Linc James taking the score to 22-16.

Nyngan's never-say-die attitude had them still in the game and only a fantastic tackle from Kailen Butt stopped them scoring a certain try.

With just four minutes to go, Nyngan attacked the line again and this time they were successful, bringing the score 22-20. Fortunately for the Blues, the conversion was unsuccessful meaning they won, and were through to the grand final.

Man of the match could have gone to anyone, but a defensively dedicated Ryan Cox earned the prize.

The Blues are in for the game of their lives this coming Saturday in their grand final against the minor premiers, St John Gold. The game is at 12pm in Apex Park, Dubbo. Up the Blues!

Senior League Tag Blues

The Hanson Plumbing and Parkes Services Club Senior League Tag Blues played the South Dubbo Raiders in the game to get into the grand final.

On just the second play of the game Jorja Simpson slipped through the Dubbo defence and scored out wide. Unfortunately, the Raiders had the wind behind them and skipped out to a 14-4 lead. Luckily just before half time, Jorja Simpson scored again with Teagan Smede kicking the conversion to make the score 14-10 at half time. Some great tagging by Mary Sladden, Charli Robinson and Izzy Miller prevented South Dubbo extending their score.

The second half of the game started at a frenetic pace with good runs by Lily Crocker, Gigi Stitt and Ella Wilkinson, which was backed up in defence by Paige Hanson, Olive Moore and Chyler Skillin.

Unfortunately Dubbo made the most of a couple of missed tags and the Parkes girls let in three fairly easy tries to take the score to 34-10.

Dani Goodrick, Ellie Toohey and Jasmine Collier never gave up and put the Blues in good field position, when they decided to try the move they had been working on at training which resulted in the defence coming in quickly on Jorja who passed to Teagan running wide for a try, taking the final score to 34-16.

All of the girls should be really proud of their improvement as a team and also making it this far in the season given the travel times each week and COVID-19 restrictions.

Parkes16 (Jorja Simpson 2, Teagan Smede tries; Teagan Smede 2 goals) lost to South Dubbo34.

Great work girls, you've had an awesome season.

Under 16's

The Brian Collins Smash Repairs under 16's travelled to Dubbo on Saturday for the do or die final against Nyngan, which turned out to be the match of the season.

Kane Bailey scored the first try of the day for Parkes with Mac Rauchle scoring the next try. That saw Parkes go into half time with a 10-4 lead.

The second half saw Toby Miller and Tyler Yeo cross the line but it was all locked up at full time, 18-all.

After three lots of five minutes of extra time, no one had scored which meant that because Nyngan had scored the first try of the match, they were awarded the win.

Tough way to end but the boys should be proud of their efforts to be undefeated all season. Great work boys!