WOOLWORTHS management has moved quickly to quash media reports that the Parkes Big W store was one of 30 "unprofitable" stores earmarked for closure.
The online report, published on Friday afternoon, also said the Orange, Dubbo and Bathurst outlets would close and that 1000 workers across the country would lose their jobs.
But, when contacted by Australian Community Media, a Woolworths spokesperson said the report was "completely untrue" and that the company was working to have the story taken down.
The unfounded report continues a nervous time for Big W staff across Australia.
Parent company Woolworths announced in April that up to 30 stores would close and last month confirmed that the first three - in Chullora, Auburn and Fairfield - would close their doors in January.
At the time, Big W managing director David Walker said the company would continue working with landlords across the country over coming months as part of its "network review".
"Supporting our team remains our priority and we are committed to doing the right thing by them," he said.
"Over the next six months we will support our team and explore redeployment opportunities with team members who chose to continue their career at Big W or with other Woolworths Group brands in the months ahead."
However, the company maintained on Friday that there had been no developments since then with regards to store closures and rejected the claims in the online report.
ALSO MAKING NEWS: