Home invasion, arson and kidnapping: Police lay charges

The scene of an alleged domestic-violence related incident in Ootha. Photo: SEVEN NEWS
The scene of an alleged domestic-violence related incident in Ootha. Photo: SEVEN NEWS

POLICE have laid charges after an alleged home invasion left a man unconscious, his home torched and partner's family missing.

NSW Police have laid charged after alleged home invaders knocked a man unconscious, burned his home to the ground and allegedly snatched his partner, her daughter and grandchildren.

The ensuing manhunt, involving dog units and a police helicopter, brought the harrowing ordeal to an end near Sydney, hundreds of kilometres away from where it started.

Two men armed with a shotgun, knife and an axe went to a home in Ootha, near Condobolin, about 5am on Tuesday and assaulted a 68-year-old male occupant and knocked him unconscious, NSW Police said.

It is understood the man was allegedly struck in the head with a shotgun and left with a serious injury.

The man was taken to Parkes Hospital before being airlifted to Orange Hospital in a critical condition.

A Western NSW Local Health District spokeswoman said the man was in a stable condition on Wednesday morning.

Police say when the man regained consciousness, the home had been destroyed by fire.

He couldn't find his 71-year-old partner, her 41-year-old daughter and two grandsons, aged 13 and 14.

It was thought the alleged kidnappers and abductees were headed toward the Central Coast or Hunter Region but were eventually traced to the north west of Sydney.

Two men aged 23 and 29 were arrested that night near Sackville while the 71-year-old woman and the two boys were found on a roadside in nearby Windsor.

A third man, aged 44, and the 41-year-old woman who was with him, were located with help from police dogs and PolAir in bushland about 20 kilometres north of Windsor a few hours later.

The man was arrested and the woman was taken into the care of local police before being reunited with her family.

The 23 and 29-year-old men were charged with a litany of offences and refused bail to appear at Penrith Local Court on Wednesday.

The 44-year-old man is expected to be charged after undergoing medical examinations in a Sydney hospital.

AAP